1410 Center Street
Following the battle of San Jacinto, General Sam Houston, David Burnet and the Texas Cabinet met at a nearby cabin took the Mexican General to a nearby cabin to draft the initial treaty documents securing Texas’ independence from Mexico.
This cabin, the home of Dr. George Moffit Patrick, was located in Deer Park on Buffalo Bayou, and a historical representation of the structure stands in our Heritage Park. Because of these significant events, Deer Park holds the distinction of being the true “Birthplace of Texas.”
New historical features secured during 2017
The Historical Committee had a very busy year in 2017, with many accomplishments related to the 125th Anniversary Celebration and other significant milestones. In partnership with Dow Chemical and the Texas Historical Commission, the Historical Committee oversaw the movement of a Centennial Marker originally placed at the home of George Moffit Patrick from its location at Dow Chemical (formerly Rohm and Haas) to Heritage Park.
610 E. San Augustine
Early Deer Park Graves
Around 1928, surveyors came across a headstone for siblings Mary Jackson and William Wilson. Around 1976, Shell contacted the Harris County Historical Commission and the City of Deer Park to make plans to move the gravesite. The Commission gave Shell permission to move the gravesite and any remains from the site at Shell to Dow Park. A small cement casket of earth from the graves and the headstone were moved on March 7, 1977. It is Deer Park's oldest artifact and some historians believe it is the oldest marked grave in Harris County. As of December 2017, the City was granted a Texas Historical Subject Marker for “Early Settlers in Deer Park.” The marker, as well as the headstone, will be located in central Dow Park.
Museum Cabinets in Deer Park
Throughout the City of Deer Park, visitors will find cabinets filled with historical documents, photos and items that shed light on the history of our area. The items on display were largely made available through citizen donations.
The cabinets include photos, newspaper clippings and eight letters written by the City’s founder, Simeon West, in the 1850s and 1860s - come see them today!
Cabinets are available for viewing at the Municipal Court/Theater Building (1302 Center Street), the Community Center (610 E. San Augustine), the Deer Park Public Library (3009 Center Street) and the Deer Park Visitors Center (203 Ivy Avenue).
Industrial Tank Murals
Visitors who travel along State Highway 225 through the Deer Park industrial region will be captivated by the beautiful artwork adorning the sides of select storage tanks lining the roadway. Each of the seven images tell a story about the hardships in the fight for Texas independence. While you’re here, don’t miss the chance to take a drive and see each one in person!
“Destiny” sponsored by LyondellBasell
“Discovery” sponsored by Vopak
“Two Storms Passing” - Matching pair of murals sponsored by Shell Deer Park
“The Volunteers” sponsored by ExxonMobil
“Spirit of Independence” sponsored by Vopak
“Muddy Trail to Freedom” sponsored by the City of Morgan’s Point